Saturday, June 30, 2012

Trip to L.A.


Fairytale House

No, it's not Los Angeles, it's Lower Alabama. Down around Escambia County and Mobile Bay. The scenery is beautiful: the spreading oaks draped in Spanish moss, the charm of the architecture, and of course the water.  Heading toward Mobile Bay, we went to an arts festival in Fairhope. Lots of artists and different skills. And there's a delightful house straight out of a fairytale. I was told the owner and his sons built it themselves—must be a true labor of love.
Old Oaks at Confederate Rest Cemetery
Then there's the Confederate Rest Cemetery, a place of peace and quiet. This isn't the best photo of the headstones, but it does show the spreading oaks.

At the art festival, we found some lovely things, like this lacey jacket. I enlarged a section so you could see how it's made. I don't know what this is--knitting? macrame?

I hope to find ways to use these in my writing. Having pictures helps me remember and keeps me consistent in my descriptions. I carry my digital camera everywhere and take loads of pictures. Then the problem becomes organizing and keeping track of them. 

6 comments:

Stella Jones said...

Love that house. Isn't it gorgeous! The jacket is beautiful too. I love to wear that sort of thing. My mum did that openwork, but I can't remember what it is called either. I think it is done on two upright knitting needles joined at top and bottom and then crochet happens all the way up and down.

Ellis Vidler said...

How interesting. I've never seen anything done that way, but I loved the jacket.
The house made me want to write fantasy stories. Just looking at it, I could imagine the people who lived in it. :-)

laura thomas said...

Hi Ellis. I live in Fairhope and I consider myself fortunate to do so. It is an interesting and charming colony full of artists and writers. The Arts & Crafts Festival is fantastic. I look for certain venders every year and always find things I love. If you visit again, I'd love to meet you and show you some of this towns hidden charms.

Polly Iyer said...

Charming house and very interesting jacket. I wish I remembered to bring my camera. I never do and then chastise myself when there's something I want to remember. Lovely.

Ellis Vidler said...

Laura, my sister lives in Pensacola, so I may be back in the area. We thought Fairhope was lovely, and the Arts Festival had much more to offer than I usually see. I'd love to go back and see more of the area.

Ellis Vidler said...

Polly, I even made sure my batteries were charged on that trip. :-) I knew I'd want to take pictures. There's always something I want to remember or show others.